Monday, February 22, 2010

Lesson learned 2/22/10: Don't light yourself on fire

So little did I know that this morning I would light myself on fire.
It all began so innocently. Brent was still in bed (since he works 2nd shift). Natalie and I were downstairs, it was about noon, time to get lunch started. I had set out chicken breasts to grill and was going to make chicken and rice. So I got the chicken breasts out of the fridge, thought "dang it, it's raining..... guess I'll have to bring the grill closer to the back door so I don't get soaked while grilling." I had seen Brent do this a thousand times. So I opened the back door, pulled the gas grill closer to the house, turned it on preheat and ignited it. "Hmm, that's funny," I thought, "it won't turn on." I figured it had gotten wet from the rain. So I turn it all off and try again. And again. And again. Then I remembered that Brent had told me I could always use a lighter if I had to to get the grill going. So I get the lighter. Still nothing. I was getting pretty frustrated by this point and I didn't want to wake my slumbering husband when he needed his rest. So I put the top of the grill down.... yet forgot that I had left the preheat on. It was basically a bomb inside there, waiting to explode into flames. I pushed ignite once more thinking if the top was down, it wouldn't get rain on it, causing it to not light. Yeah, it lit alright. And a sudden burst of flames popped out of the top of the grill and shot all over my arm and burnt me. Well that woke slumbering sweetie husband up alright. Or maybe it was my screaming through the house saying "Brent! BRENT! BRENT! I caught myself on fire!!!" You are laughing right now. I am too, NOW, but wasn't then for sure. Needless to say, the top part of my left arm has been burned and it burned my arm hair off (lol) and we said forget it and went and got mexican for lunch.

Just incase you want to see, it's really not so bad.


Brent is in charge of grill duty until I can get my courage up to face it head on again.

3 comments:

  1. yikes! That sounds scary... I am glad you are okay!

    ReplyDelete
  2. whoaaa! You and brent have both ben injured by grils now! Remember the grill at my family's house putting a gash in brents leg!? ouch maybe ya'll should only use a george foreman grill ;) haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know Es! Lindsay, I thought about that yesterday too, actually. Lol :)

    ReplyDelete